Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Mini terrarium

Last week I was feeling mighty crafty… I think I was going through my “I should have been an elementary school art teacher” phase, when I decided on a simple project with things I could find around the house. 

I found the directions at a cute little blog called knits and pieces… thanks Jenna! 

I ended up with a fun mini terrarium that satisfied my craft craving and allowed me to garden (indoors) in the rain!

Materials:

+ 1 glass pendant light cover (clear)

+ terra cotta pot saucer

+ 1 small plant

+ fish tank stones (or dish garden topping)

Mix all ingredients and water!

Funny story about the fish tank stones… I did not want to go out and buy a 2 lb bag of the dish garden topping, so I just reused some neutral fish tanks stones instead! Viola!

How lovely would these be as centerpieces in a cluster of different sizes for an eco-friendly wedding?! If you’re not into the all natural terra cotta look you could always paint that, and even throw in a few frosted or colored pendant light covers with candles on the inside instead of plants… ooh romantic!

Then just give them away when you’re done as parting gifts. Gotta keep it green!

View blog reactions

2 comments:

Suzan St Maur said...

Changing the subject slightly, I thought you might be interested to know that my latest book, "How To Get Married In Green: have an eco-friendly wedding without compromising on style," was published in North America last month.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Get-Married-Green-Eco-friendly/dp/1845282701/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195123385&sr=1-1

...although of course the book is available on all Amazons, not just the UK version, and will be in most good book stores.

I also run an associated blog where readers can post questions as comments, or email me with them, about how to make their wedding or other celebration more eco-friendly. I then respond on the blog, FOC of course! That's here:

http://www.HowToGetMarriedInGreen.blogspot.com

With all good wishes

Suzan St Maur

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! It's definitely great for a wedding with an eco-friendly theme!