Monday, October 6, 2008

Hand-cancelled letters

Ugh! That’s all I have to say about this topic. I’ve been doing some extensive research on hand canceling letters and postcards for a bride who is having some save the dates done. We are currently designing postcards with an embossed monogram front and regular printing on the back. I know that a beautiful embossed monogram would get smudged going through those horrific machines at the post office, so I was determined to have them hand cancelled. I probably made my first mistake going to the main post office on a Friday afternoon, but after waiting in line for 15 minutes I was denied the right to hand cancel. The postal woman I talked to said that they would hand cancel 10 pieces max., she also said that I would not be allowed to cancel them myself, because I might change the date on the stamp. Whatever!

I’m not giving up yet, my plan of attack is to hit the two smaller post offices in my city and see if they will be a little more giving.

Any thoughts on this… have any of you had hand cancelled letters or postcards?


image via: Dan Berkes

View blog reactions

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had an experience similar to this, where the postman I talked to basically told me that my invitations would go through a machine one way or another, even if we did hand cancel them. Crushed my dreams right then and there.

I ended up letting the post office do their thing anyway and the invitations arrived to my guests in pretty good shape, so I was happy.

Anonymous said...

I've used sealing wax before, a special kind that I swear will not chip 99% of the time. I also have submit art on an envelope for special contests and had them hand canceled. I live in a small city of about 8,000 people. We have one post office and they are VERY friendly. I suggest finding a small city/town post office. Maybe they will be quite friendly, less busy and willing to help.

Kristin said...

Thanks tiffanyandink! I'll definitely have to venture out and see if there are better places to accomplish this! I need to make friends with the PO workers! :)